Sunday, September 21, 2008

Move Outta Da Way!


0917081753.jpg
Originally uploaded by lr4rr

She didn't want me to take her picture, but I got a good picture in spite of her attempts to swat me away. I look at this picture and it personifies one of the things I think about most when I look at her. She is a solid, whole body inside her clothes. This probably sounds strange, but if you think back to when you were a child you might remember feeling solid, whole and more or less indestructible. I remember. I also remember when that feeling starting going away. I still remember that feeling today and it still doesn't feel good, so I hope and pray that my children never feel that way. So what do I teach? "Start out the way you mean to go on." To do that you have to keep what you need, get rid of what you don't and have the sense to know the difference. Keep yourself - don't give that away to be something or someone else. Keep gifts, especially from your family - that gift is a tangible link between you and that person. And don't get rid of something good to make room for junk. I can look back over my 44 years and see so many instances where I screwed up on every one of those counts - those are things I can't forget. So..........I'm lucky because I have been blessed with wonderful children and a wonderful family in spite of my ineptitude in knowing the difference. I know that much.

2 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

That's a great photo of her. I'm glad you caught one despite her attempts to hide. She'll love it one day.

Anonymous said...

AMEN, sister! I'm determined to teach my kids to be true to thine own self- because I SO screwed that one up. The hard part is going to be to let them make mistakes.