Saturday, October 20, 2007

That's Not My Job!

Can you see this guy being sent out in the world to earn his keep? Maybe a sign around his neck that says " Will work for food."? Nah, I don't think so either.Apparently goats being hired out as mowing machines is a growth industry in my neck of the woods though. On one hand, it's good to see goats getting the respect they deserve, albeit not entirely for the right reasons.There are so many things about goats that are totally cool and lovable - their land clearing capabilities are down on the list. On the other hand, it's not so great seeing some goats getting something they don't deserve - killed. On more than one occasion, the news that some of the goats that have been hired out to clear the kudzu off of Missionary Ridge have been attacked and killed by dogs, has made the paper.Now don't get me wrong - the idea of clearing out acres and acres of obnoxious weed without the use of Round Up or napalm is certainly not without merit, but if you're going to send these guys out to do this big job, then you damn sure ought to protect them. They have recently put a Great Pyrenees in the enclosure with a goat/the goats (I've not seen more than one in the enclosure), but the logistics of where this goat/these goats are grazing and what's protecting him/them while grazing is not exactly clear.

And no I'm not some fanatical tree-hugging nut-job. (I'm a regular nut-job.) I'm just sayin.

No comments: