Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to Get From a Reel Mower to an Organic Market in One Day

Okay, so here is what's happening on the ranch. It's been beautiful, no rain - until today! I was going to finish mowing the lawn today and work in the flower beds, but apparently that ain't gonna happen. I am however, the proud new owner of a reel mower - YES! - no gasoline, no oil, just arms and legs! Woo hoo! Just another step toward lightening our ecological footprint. Of course, I do realize that losing about 80 pounds would definitely lighten my footprint, but (snort, snort) all things in good time. Actually, Alex and I went to the Union Street Market Friday and enjoyed a really wonderful organic, vegetarian lunch. We are still enjoying some of the bread we bought too - excellent Ezekiel and whole wheat bread baked by the owners. The Union Street Market is a really amazing place. I found it through Local Harvest and decided I HAD to go there that day. You can place an order for anything they have up to and including any ingredients with which they cook. You can email a grocery list by Wednesday night and Friday you can pick it up - Voila - you have wonderfully fresh, organic food for your tummy. I had the Oven Baked Peanut Butter Tofu , Marinated Kale Greens and a freshly baked whole wheat yeast roll. I started out with a very tasty salad of mixed greens with little grape tomatoes, sprouts, grated beets and carrots and because I couldn't decide, Robbie - one of the owners - brought me both the creamy dill and the blueberry vinaigrette to top it all off. I still can't decide - they're both awesome. Last but not least is the exquisite blueberry sorbet that was so good Alex had to have another dish just to be sure. Robbie and Coleman, the owners immediately made us feel welcome with their warm personalities and a sample of their Kombucha tea. Although it's not for everyone, everyone should at least try it once. Good for the digestion.
All in all, it was totally worth the hour long drive, especially since I got to
cruise back through one of the towns I lived in when I was a kid. Needless to say, that part was a lot more fun for me than it was for my 18 year old. The verdict - I would definitely go back - to eat AND to pick up my groceries. The Van Goats would totally love it.

No comments: